Tinned copper rubber insulated cloth wiring was commonly used for home wiring between the 1930’s to 1950’s and is frequently misidentified by home inspectors. The copper was “tinned” which gives it a silver or aluminum like appearance to prevent corrosion of the wiring due to the high sulfur content of the rubber insulation. As this wiring ages the insulation becomes very brittle and prone to cracking and deterioration, potentially exposing live electrical conductors which could create a fire or electrocution hazard. In Florida, the presence of this type of wiring may limit the available options for homeowners insurance until it has been replaced by a licensed electrician. If you are uncertain or concerned about the condition of your home’s electrical system,  contact us today to schedule your home inspection.